The Vigil of Pentecost, Semidouble & Priviliged Vigil of II Class.
The Feast of Saint Barnabas the Apostle, Double of II Class is transferred.
Those of you accustomed to the Universal Kalendar or even the Monastic Diurnal / Monastic Breviary Matins may notice that the Feast of St. Barnabas is not transferred but commemorated. This is so because in the Anglican Breviary the Feast of St. Barnabas is a Double of the II Class and in the Universal and Monastic Kalendar’s a Greater Double. It seems to me that the editors of the Simple Kalendar are trying to emphasize this Feast to follow the lead of the Book of Common Prayer. The Feast of St. Barnabas will be transferred to after Trinity Sunday.
This is a Vigil in Eastertide and because there are no fasts from Eater to Pentecost the Preces are NOT said at all. The Collect for the Vigil is that of the previous Sunday not of the Ascension ! The Vigil begins at Matins and ends with None.
- Matins: all is said as on a day within the Octave of the Ascension except what is given as Proper (p. C422-425). Nothing is said of St. Barnabas!
- Lauds: all as on a day within the Octave of the Ascension.
- Prime & Little Hours: all as on a day within the Octave of the Ascension.
- Vespers: is the 1st Vespers of Pentecost or Whitsunday (p. C426), Collect from Lauds of Whitsunday.
From the Vesper Hymn onwards the following ending is used for Hymn (except thise with uncchanging endings): All praise be thine, O Risen Lord from death to endless life restored etc. as for Easter. The Marian Antiphon is that for Easter. The latter will change the 1st Vespers of Trinity Sunday.
- Compline: of Sunday, no Preces.